It’s formally bug season and I’m scrambling to seek out pure methods to repel all of the bugs thriving from the wetness Might left behind. The summer season months are forward of us and pure citronella oil is an absolute should. Utilizing utterly pure components, let’s enterprise into the great world of candle making and defend our outside house the pure approach with DIY citronella candles! These pesky mosquitoes aren’t any match for these highly effective insect repellent candles!
We reside in Oklahoma and our state is notorious for allergy symptoms and bugs. There are screens on each window as a result of there isn’t a approach you would permit a gateway for bugs to hitch your family. If mosquitos are an issue in your neck of the woods, you’ll need to think about making these DIY citronella candles. Plus, I’ll provide you with a couple of extra tips about keep bug free this summer season!
Why Make DIY Citronella Candles?
Making your individual DIY citronella candles is a good suggestion for a couple of causes. One, it’s artistic and enjoyable. Gained’t you get a way of delight burning selfmade candles? Additionally, they create ambiance. Candle gentle on the patio, a glass of wine, good music-it’s a vibe that’s for positive! The most important cause is they supply safety towards mosquitos. Whereas they aren’t the simplest bug repellent you would use, they’re price utilizing and supply a minimum of one layer of safety. I wish to put on THESE non-toxic bands in addition to preserve my selfmade bug spray shut. Whereas working towards all three habits, you need to have the ability to have an pleasant time outside.
A few years in the past I wrote a publish on a DIY Bug Repellent recipe and in addition a Bug Chew Balm. I talked concerning the risks of typical bug sprays and careworn that squirting copious quantities of bug repellent time and again is extremely poisonous. Through the years I’ve made a number of new batches of my bug repellent and have already put it to good use however I’ve at all times needed to make my very own citronella candles as a result of I LOVE candles and who doesn’t want as a lot safety as they will get with these dang mosquitos!
You may additionally like my citronella bug repellent cubes as properly! These candle wax melts are easy to make and require no wick!
First, a couple of issues about Citronella Important Oil…
Citronella oil is a well-liked and efficient pure mosquito repellent. It’s additionally a wonderful soother for bug bites! It’s a potent anti fungal in addition to antibacterial and antiseptic.
In a 2011 difficulty of Tropical Medicine & International Health, an evaluation of 11 research on the capabilities of citronella oil discovered that the important oil seemingly offered as much as three hours of safety towards mosquitoes.
Citronella oil repels mosquitos by blocking the scent of people that draws them.
Second, a couple of issues about beeswax candles…..
Do you know that beeswax really purifies the air? Beeswax releases NEGATIVE IONS into the air very like diffusing important oils does. Air pollution like smoke, dander, pollen, mud and grime carry a POSITIVE cost. The adverse beeswax ions connect to the optimistic pollution and mainly wrestle them to the bottom to the place they’re inactive!
Burning beeswax candles may be extraordinarily useful for these of you affected by allergy symptoms and bronchial asthma! If you’re burning pure beeswax candles, it solely takes a pair hours of burning to assist clear the air!
For extra detailed step-by-step (with image) directions, seek advice from my publish on make beeswax candles.
What You’ll Want for DIY Citronella Candles:
- 1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lb. Beeswax
- 1 ounce (600 drops) Citronella Important Oil
- Glass containers or jars to your candles.
- Lead Free Wicks
- garments pins
- A medium sized pot
- A glass pyrex bowl with spout
- A cookie sheet
- Put together the empty containers by utilizing a sizzling glue gun to attach the candle wick within the backside of the jar or glass candle holder and steadying it with a garments pin.
- Place your ready glass candle holders within the oven at 170 levels.
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium sized pot 1/2 approach full with water, place a glass pyrex bowl within the water.
- Pour beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl and permit to completely soften. Hold your range high on low-medium warmth.
- Take away glass bowl from warmth and add 80-100 drops of Citronella to the wax.
- Pour sizzling wax into glass containers. I used to be capable of make 5 candles from 1 lb. of wax. You may see the sizes from my footage.
- Regular the wicks and let the wax cool, ideally in a heat (170F) oven. (see why under)
- Trim your wicks. (1/2 inch from the wax)
- Enable to set for 48 hours in an effort to treatment earlier than lighting.
- Purchase low-cost citronella important oil. There isn’t a must go together with a high quality model.
- We aren’t making use of it to our pores and skin and we’re utilizing so much. I used THIS oil.
- If in case you have a bunch of outdated candles mendacity round and even candles that you simply did not burn utterly, you’ll be able to soften the wax and use them on this recipe. Beeswax is in fact a more healthy possibility however I at all times like to repurpose objects in my dwelling that I now not use! Skip the coconut oil if you’re utilizing already made candles.
- Should you want to skip the beeswax, you need to use soy wax as a substitute. Skip the coconut oil for those who do.
Candle Making Ideas and Tips:
- Warmth your glass candle containers within the oven on low (170 levels Fahrenheit) whereas your beeswax melts on the range high. This can permit little or no “shock” to the beeswax whereas it’s being poured into the containers which can stop cracking. I put mine on a cookie sheet for straightforward elimination.
- When you’ve poured the wax into your candle containers, permit your candles to chill within the oven at 170 levels Fahrenheit along with your oven door barely ajar. This can stop cracking as properly. Make sure to carry on cookie sheet!!
- Cleansing up after beeswax may be an not possible activity. I recommend you both use a disposable container to soften your coconut oil and beeswax in, or you’ll be able to put your glass bowl within the oven, permit the remaining beeswax to utterly soften, then wipe it out with a paper towel. It’s the one approach I’ve discovered to scrub up.
- When first lighting your candles, at all times level the flame on the backside of the wick in order that your candle will burn accurately.
- The primary time you burn your candle, ensure you have got sufficient time to let it burn lengthy sufficient for the wax to soften evenly on the highest of the candle. That is essential with any candle and helps “prepare” your candle to not tunnel. (see under for extra tips about avoiding tunneling)
- Don’t get in a rush when melting your beeswax. Should you soften your wax in too excessive a temp, you would render the beeswax ineffective. Hold the range high on low-medium warmth.
- Don’t add your important oils whereas the warmth remains to be on the wax. If the wax is just too sizzling, the oil will deplete and in addition be ineffective.
Associated Submit: Important Oil Spider Spray
Further Useful Tricks to Hold Mosquitos Away:
- As talked about above, THESE bands are nice. They’re low-cost, comfy and simple to cross out at events.
- Plant lemon balm and/or citronella round your patio or had been you want to hang around. These crops add an additional layer of safety towards annoying bugs. Citronella is a “tender perennial” so for those who don’t have a tough winter, it most certainly will come again every spring. Lemon Balm can be a perennial and a bit extra hardy.
- Drop a couple of further drops of important oil on the floor of your candles earlier than lighting.
- Lemon Eucalyptus oil is one other pure oil that works properly towards mosquitos and can be utilized in a diffuser outside.
- Burn citronella incense whereas outdoors.
- Examine round your patio house for any standing/stagnant water. You’d be shocked how eliminating water round your sitting space could make an enormous distinction.
Bother Capturing Candle Tunneling
Do-it-yourself beeswax candles, whereas simple to make, are exhausting to get proper. As you’ll be able to see from my pics, my candles are tunneling (when the wax solely burns down the center of the candle).
I’ve found out a couple of methods to maintain your candles from tunneling and deal with it intimately in my make beeswax candles publish. I’ll inform you right here that it’s crucial that you simply “prepare” your candles the primary time you gentle them. This implies, you allow them to burn lengthy sufficient that the wax melts all the way in which to the outer edges of the container. Beeswax candles have a tendency to wish some assist with this so I’d recommend you employ foil to assist. See image under.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to make use of 2 wicks in a single container. I’m discovering that solely votives work with 1 wick. Something bigger wants 2 if not 3 wicks.
Have enjoyable with this enjoyable selfmade citronella candle recipe! This 12 months, we want all the assistance we are able to get outdoors!
You may additionally take pleasure in my tutorial for making soy candles.
Making your individual selfmade citronella candles is a good way to salvage these summer season nights spent outdoors. They’re simple to make and comparatively inexpensive. I believe THESE jars are an ideal dimension to make fairly a couple of candles to maintain readily available to convey as hostess items to barbecues!