Elevate your hand should you’re prepared for a recent begin. Let’s be actual, 2022 was a blur and January appears to have snuck up on me quicker than I’d like. Although many people are nonetheless carrying final 12 months’s issues with us into 2023, there’s one thing a couple of new 12 months that simply feels hopeful and refreshing. This time round I’m particularly able to skip the post-holiday droop and embrace a brand new starting. Enter the January bucket checklist.
It doesn’t matter what’s behind us, January is a time to regroup, set intentions, and get impressed for the 12 months to return.
Whereas new years previous have centered round purpose setting, journey planning, calendar scheduling, and socializing, this time round I’m conserving issues easy. As we head into a brand new 12 months, I’m specializing in what actually issues, and the issues that make me really feel probably the most alive. Whether or not it’s amping up my self-care, discovering new music, bingeing a brand new sequence, or connecting with others, there are such a lot of methods we are able to awaken the enjoyment inside us day by day. Scroll on for our January bucket checklist with concepts which can be certain to go away you feeling relaxed, energized, and prepared for no matter 2023 brings.
Featured picture by Kristen Kilpatrick.
50 Concepts to Add to Your January Bucket Listing
1. Make a brand new playlist. There’s nothing like new music to go away us feeling refreshed and impressed for the 12 months to return. Curate a model new mixture of tunes to work, run, clear, prepare dinner, and reside to.
2. Binge-watch all the perfect new reveals. As a result of I’ve already completed “Emily in Paris” season 3 (I do know, I do know). Fortunate for us, there are many new reveals releasing this month. Prepare for “Ginny & Georgia” season 2. The spinoff “That ‘90s Present” will decide up the place “That ‘70s Present” left off. For extra premieres, see here.
3. Find your new favorite workout. No, you don’t have to join a gym or sign up for a cycling membership just because it’s January. But if you want to find a new way to move your body with joy, that’s something we support. Have you discovered the simple pleasure of taking a walk? Do you know how good it can feel to stretch out before hopping into bed? Can you work in a quick pilates routine before diving into work? Ask what will feel good for you and work with your life, and follow those cues.
4. Cook your way through our favorite soups. The time to be cozy is now—these easy soup recipes will help.
5. Tidy up your digital space. Every January bucket list should include this. It’s hard to come back to work with a clear head when your desktop is full of junk. Clean out your old downloads, remove unused apps, and delete unnecessary files so you can start fresh.
6. Shop from your favorite local businesses. Whether it’s your regular restaurant, neighborhood boutique, or small grocer, don’t forget to support some of the local businesses that mean the most to you.
7. Send a handwritten card. Nothing brings me greater joy than writing or receiving a handwritten note. And while long, touching letters are lovely to open, you can write a simple sweet card and the sentiment will be just as strong.
8. Get a head start on spring cleaning. Sure, March and April may mark our natural craving for a cleaner, clutter-free home, but there’s no better time than the present to begin the process. Steal our tips for getting a jump-start on our favorite time of year (yes, really).
9. DIY your own candles and treat yourself to an at-home spa day. If you’re the type to burn through candles faster than you can re-stock, have a go at making your own. It’s affordable, fun, and you might be surprised how simple it is! Get started with this guide.
10. Reassess your wardrobe. Are there gadgets that you simply haven’t worn since 2020? Stuff you’ve grown out of that you simply’re conserving out of disgrace? It’s time to let these items go to new houses. Make like Marie Kondo and take all the pieces out of the closet and assess every article of clothes one after the other. Does it spark pleasure? No? Time to set it free.
11. Get your wholesome consuming again on monitor. From smoothies to soups to veggie-packed bowls, steadiness out your vacation indulgences with one of these delicious recipes.
12. Buy yourself flowers. Because you always deserve something beautiful that’s just for you.
13. Join a book club. After moving to my new city, I joined a book club immediately. It’s been a great way to keep my reading list inspired and to make like-minded new friends.
14. Try new ways to get your leafy greens. Is eating healthier on your list of intentions? Know this: making it happen doesn’t have to be hard. We tapped a nutritionist to share her tips for getting more dark leafy greens into your everyday diet.
15. Revamp your morning routine. If you have a morning routine, amazing! (If you don’t, here’s everything you need to start.) The start of a new year is a great time to reflect on any changes or additions that need to be made to your routine. Take a little time to reassess your rituals. Are the habits you’ve built into the early hours still serving you? Is there anything that’s missing? Update accordingly.
16. … and create a nighttime routine. Up until a few months ago, my nighttime routine was pretty much nonexistent (unless we count regularly falling asleep on the couch with the TV still on a nighttime routine). Inspired to create a change, I started going to bed earlier, turning off my tech an hour before, and getting into bed with my journal and a book. The result is a much happier, better rested, and more aligned me.
17. Prioritize your pleasure. We’ve made significant progress in transforming the conversation surrounding sexual health, and in 2023, we’re turning up the volume and talking about it all the more. To put your own pleasure front and center, check out this list of the best intimacy oils and lubricants, according to a sexual wellness educator.
18. Rediscover your love of smoothies. Smoothies aren’t just a summertime staple. They’re also an easy, tasty, and aesthetically-pleasing way to get your greens, fruits, and veggies. Consult this roundup of the prettiest smoothies for the perfect winter weekday breakfast.
19. Sign up for joy-sparking newsletters. Newsflash: Your inbox really can be a source of happiness—stay with me. To prove this fact, we rounded up our favorite inspiring newsletters on subjects that run the gamut. With everything from sustainability to mental health to strategies for cultivating emotional intelligence, consider this your comprehensive list.
20. Learn something new. I’d consider this a to-do for every month of the year. Pick something to dive deep into and go all in! Check out books on the subject from your local library, subscribe to related podcasts, and watch all the films. There’s nothing better than becoming an expert to expand your worldview.
21. Decorate with branches. Bring the outside in! Spring may still be a few months away, but there are easy ways to keep our homes feeling fresh and full of natural inspiration. Clip some large-scale stems outside and arrange them in vases for a raw, organic look at home.
22. Create a regular catch-up routine. We all have friends and family members that we love and think about, but whom we don’t get to chat with as much as we’d like. Make it a weekly or monthly habit to get on the phone with college friends, your parents, siblings, and grandparents—or anyone you want to send a little love to on a regular basis.
23. Subscribe to a few favorite magazines. One day of the month, my friends and I celebrate “Magazine Day.” Let me explain—this is the day when all of my magazine subscriptions come in. Real Simple, Better Homes & Gardens, Good Housekeeping… Trust me: it’s the best way to spend a totally analog evening.
24. Cross off that project that’s been on your list forever. You know the one. Dedicate a day to wrapping it up. You’ll feel so much better after it’s done.
25. Dive into all things manifestation. Ready to create a life you can’t stop dreaming about? This guide is your answer.
26. Create a reading goal. I love listing out all the books I want to read this year. It’s a great motivator to commit to my favorite habit.
27. Plan a girls’ night. Brainstorm a night to gather with your gals. Go out, stay in—whatever!
28. Host a party just because. Christmas parties and New Year’s gatherings have come and passed, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still gather with your friends. And the good news is that you don’t need a reason to gather! Just because is always enough.
29. Find things you love about winter. Once the holidays have wrapped, it can be challenging to get through the cold months. Sit down and write out a list of all the things you love about the season. The coziness? The warm drinks? Be sure to commit to your favorite things all throughout the winter months.
30. Make DIY winter decorations. Once the Christmas tree is down, it might feel like there’s no reason to decorate. Wrong! Tape up paper snowflakes, keep the greenery up, and set out all the cozy candles.
31. Create a vision board. Ready to commit to a happier and healthier year ahead? A vision board can be the best way to make that happen. Learn everything and get all your inspiration here.
32. Make your favorite warm beverage. There’s more to life than black coffee. Golden milk, chai, matcha, hot chocolate… the list is endless.
33. Take a long walk through your city. I’m sure you’ve heard how fun it is to be a tourist in your own town. Well, it’s true. The easiest way you can do that? Bundle up and set out without a destination in mind. You’ll be surprised by all that you’ll discover.
34. Practice taking intentional breaks. In 2023, we’re looking forward to doing less. Don’t get me wrong, we’re still getting after our goals and pursuing our passions. But we’re also respecting when we need to take a pause. Here’s how to make the most of your time off.
35. Make a list of acts of kindness you want to try every week. Is one of your New Year’s resolutions to spread more good vibes? This list of random acts of kindness is the easiest way to make it happen.
36. Learn a new hand lettering technique. Whether you want to design a seasonal chalkboard at home, send out artfully impressive letters, or simply revel in your own creativity—get started with this ultimate guide to hand lettering.
37. Check out new in a single day oats recipes. They’re the best, tastiest option to work a little bit of much-needed fruits and veg into your winter morning routine. These are our faves.
38. Have a board sport evening. Is there a cozier option to spend an evening in with mates? Collect your nearest and dearest for a bit of wholesome competitors and check out our reccos for the perfect video games for sport evening.
39. Improve your cookware. We love searching for natural produce, ditching poisonous family cleaners, and refreshing our clear magnificence routines each January, however spring cleansing additionally begins within the kitchen. It’s no secret that outdated cookware generally is a supply of poisons within the family, so try these clear swaps we love.
40. Create a list-a-day journal. Gratitude lists, lists of belongings you wish to do that month (nudge, nudge), motion pictures you wish to see—that is your house to checklist out something and all the pieces.
41. Find your new favorite journal. To kick-start your new favorite routine! Get my recommendations for the best guided journals here. They’re the easiest way to make journaling a habit you’ll love (and that’s guaranteed to transform your life).
42. Make homemade bread. Quick bread, yeast-risen, sourdough—anything counts!
43. Read a new release. If you’ve always set out to read more in the new year, now is the time. I’m lucky to have gotten my hands on an advanced copy of what I’m already considering my favorite book of 2003: If We’re Being Honest. Reserve your pre-order here.
44. Experiment with the perfect non-alcoholic drinks. Whether or not you’re doing Dry January or are committing to all-in sober curiosity, check out these tasty and celebratory zero-proof drinks.
45. Follow higher sleep hygiene. In the event you haven’t gotten on board but, now’s the time to start out committing to extra restful nights. Study all the pieces it’s essential to know that can assist you get an ideal evening’s sleep from our resident skilled.
46. Think about skinimalism. An efficient, four-step skincare routine? Rely us in.
47. Plan a spring getaway. When the temps are close to freezing and it’s snowing exterior, there’s by no means a greater time to dream up a warm-weather journey. I’ve already obtained my tickets booked for Paris—the place are you headed?
48. Assist your metropolis’s sports activities workforce. It’s basketball and hockey season, y’all—and now’s the time to point out your assist! Dwelling in Chicago, I’ve Bulls and Blackhawks video games on my calendar and am even headed as much as Milwaukee for a Bucks-Pelicans match-up. Level is, even should you suppose you’re not a sports activities particular person, you may simply shock your self.
49. Lease a cabin for a weekend. Is there any higher option to benefit from the wintry climate? Corporations like Getaway supply choices which can be only a automobile trip exterior of your metropolis—however really feel like a world away.
50. Get began in your Valentine’s Day playing cards. Romantic love could also be on the middle of the vacation, however I shouldn’t be the primary one to inform you you could have fun all of the love in your life on February 14. Such as you would with vacation playing cards, begin creating, writing out, and addressing your personal V-Day notes. It’s certainly one of my favourite methods to let the individuals in my life know they’re cherished.
This publish was initially printed on January 7, 2021, and has since been up to date.